Sunday, July 13, 2008

Time for Everything Under the Sun

The last two weeks of my life have been some of the roughest weeks I’ve ever had. Since my son left for West Point, I have been through the wringer. The whole “my baby is leaving home” thing is very, very hard. But add to that the whole military thing and I’ve been a basket case. Not knowing how he is doing has been one of the hardest times as a mom I have ever experienced.

A letter finally came, written a week after he got there. In hindsight, it probably wasn’t reasonable for me to expect something sooner from an 18 year old, but I was sick with worry and the blackout was unbearable. My greatest fears have been temporarily allayed somewhat by the news that he is doing fine, all things considered. But I know the next four years, should he decide to stay, will be up and down for him, for his father, for me.

The letter is like gold. It is a simple, quick one page note that gives a brief outline of how his days are going, and asking for things that he needs. I have read it over and over. I don’t know if I think I’ll find something else in it, but I read as though it were new each time. The part that moves me the most is near the end of the letter. Just one sentence:“I found a new faith home here, and I might try to join the Praise Team for the Protestant service.”

God is at work in his heart and mind. Away from home, on his own and he goes to chapel without being dragged out of bed. He could just sleep in Sunday mornings. They allow that for those who choose not to go to Sunday services, but he has chosen to seek out other Christians and to feed on the Word. The only book he took with him was his bible. In it, when he has a moment or two, he will find the strength and courage he needs to succeed in the task that lies before him.

He believes in what he is doing. How could I believe any differently? I believe in his abilities, his drive and his passions, just as I believe in God’s. My son is becoming a man, if not right before my eyes, at least in his letters that will follow and the phone calls that will be made. There will be rough times, times of questioning, but God is faithful and in the end he will make his plan come to fruition, whatever that may be. As the bible says, there is a time for everything. This is a time of change, of upheaval. God is in it when all is said and done. In that truth is comfort.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our prayers continue for Matt, as well as for you and Will. God has a plan for Matt and Matt is open to hear it. It's hard to ask for much more than that and be assured that your faith has transferred. You may be missing a part of it now, but God will renew all of the Howard family, as well as the rest of His sons and daughters (which thankfully includes me).

Lyndon

Anonymous said...

It is nice to hear that he is doing well. My prayers also contiune for you, Will, and Matt. Matt has a strong faith, one that he has shared with me. Thank you,
Emily

Emily said...

Hey just letting you know that I sent my address to you. I haven't had much luck as far as reaching you though email, so let me know if you get it...