Saturday, November 21, 2009

Every Good Gift

This weekend I am in Arkansas to play guitar for a wedding. This is something I have done multiple times over the years. I enjoy doing it for my family, though I battle nervousness. When I arrived at the rehearsal, I discovered that a string quartet was accompanying me. It was a delightful surprise. I’ve never had anything like this before and it will make a real difference with the music.

Life is like that. We go along doing what is familiar to us and suddenly there is a delightful surprise from God. It always amazes me when God’s gifts arrive unannounced. In the midst of the mundane, something special happens. Sometimes it’s the answer to a prayer that comes in a form we were not expecting. And sometimes, it’s simply because he delights in us.

Scripture says that every good gift comes from above. His blessings are given not because we’ve done something to earn extra points. They come because of his grace and love for us. He takes joy in our joy, pleasure in ours. There simply doesn’t have to be any reason for it. In the same way human parents bring home surprises for a child, so God does for us.

I consider the string quartet a surprise from God. It’s for the pleasure of the attendees, yes, but it’s a surprising blessing for me. I am delighting in the experience and will treasure it in the years to come because it’s something that will most likely never happen again. And I am grateful for it. I thank God for such an experience.

We should go about our daily routines, and do those things God has called us to do. There is joy in the journey. But know that when you least expect it, God will give a surprising gift of love. May your joy be great and may your hearts be overflowing with gratitude for those good gifts from above.

1 comment:

The Libertarian Review said...

I fully agree. Whenever I am blessed with a gift, I thank God. Having this mentality helps because when a door closed, you get to wonder what window God will open. Nice post! :)