Friday, June 25, 2010

Trusting Through Trials

It’s been a while since I posted, which bothers me because I want to be consistent with posting at least twice a month. Writer’s block. It happens now and then and it is frustrating for me. I try to write, but inspiration doesn’t come readily, so this may be a bit stilted.

I have several people in my life who are in need of a lot of prayer right now and I have been praying daily for them. I have been praying hard because I am passionate about their needs being resolved. But nothing seems to be happening and they continue to suffer. God seems to be doing nothing to lift their burdens and I have reached the point where I am questioning why He is so far away and doing nothing for them. In fact, I am a little angry about it. I am beseeching Him and have others praying. Nothing.

There are times when God seems to leave our prayers unanswered. We are left with burdens and circumstances that are difficult to cope with. Sometimes trials are heartbreaking and painful and we cry out for help, but are left to deal with things on our own. I think I am not alone when it comes to questioning God and even getting angry with Him. His silence and inaction are unfathomable.

But is He really ignoring our prayers? Scripture makes it clear that God always listens to our prayers, no matter what we say and how we say it. The question really is why He allows circumstances to continue, sometimes for long periods. I am no theologian, but I think I have at least a partial understanding of what He is doing. I believe He is preparing the answer for us that will come at the designated time. When and where that will happen, we do not know, but in the meantime He allows trials to shape us, to mold us to be more like Jesus in becoming stronger, more patient and more compassionate.

Trials are painful and we want them to end immediately, but we must allow the time it takes for the desired result to be made permanent. God’s wisdom and actions are unknowable for now. We have to continue to believe in His goodness and love toward us. Learning to trust Him is the ultimate goal, to believe He has our best interest at heart. When I get angry it’s because I have yet to gain that understanding.

I know I will have to go through trials as I walk on the earth. Jesus faced them in His time on earth. God allows them for us, too, because the servant is not greater than the Master, but like the Master we will be in the end. I will continue to plead for my friends because prayer is never wasted, but I will have to understand that God answers prayer in His time and in His way. All I can do is trust.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

if you have been praying for me, your prayers HAVE been answered. I am recovering from breast cancer treatment and surgery and the procedures have restored me. I have less than 5% chance of reoccurance. I have maintained my strength and attitudes. I have been blessed beyond measure through the last 6 months.

prayers have been answered in SPADES! Have faith in your God and the words God has given you in the blog post. I continue to rpay for you and all who suffer.
Lyn