Saturday, December 21, 2013

The Legacy

Two days ago, my mother quietly slipped into eternity. It wasn’t a surprise.  We knew she was nearing the end of her life on earth. More importantly, she knew she was dying and was at peace about it. She was ready to go home. She was longing to go to her life in heaven and to be with my father who preceded her in death eight years ago. 

My mother lived ninety-three years, and I had the great blessing of knowing her for fifty-eight of them. She was a kind and loving mother, who loved her three children, her nine grandchildren, and seven great grandchildren.  She treated her sons-in-law and daughter-in-law like they were her own children. Indeed, my husband called her Mom because she was so accepting.

My mother was a rock throughout her life. Strong and intelligent, she was someone to emulate. I learned much from her about how life should be lived. She was not a complainer, even during the times of recovery for multiple broken hips and an arm in her later years. She kept her sense of humor and showed our family how to live through hardships without losing faith in a gracious and merciful heavenly Father.

My mother will be richly rewarded in her new life because of the way she lived life while in her earthly vessel. She served the Lord faithfully throughout her years and loved him. She was genuinely grateful for the blessings God showered on her, and remained faithful even in the hardest of times. It is her legacy to me and the rest of my family. There is an estate left behind, but my true inheritance is the gift of faith she instilled in me. I was reared in the church and have believed in the Savior of my soul throughout my life, thanks to my mother and my father.

She honored God and trusted him for everything. And during my years of wandering, she loved me and prayed every day for God to bring me back into the fold. God answered her prayers and I returned to the faith I had been raised in.

Her very favorite scripture verse was Micah 6:8. “He has told you, O mortal, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?” My mother lived by that verse. Her walk of humble faith with God taught me the same. It is what I strive for.

In her last lucid moments, I read that verse to her, along with two other favorites, Psalm 23, and John 3:16. My mother knew she was going to see the Lord face to face and had no fear of death. I believed that about her, too. Some of my final words to her included asking for forgiveness for all I had done to hurt, and to tell her how much I loved her. And the most difficult thing I whispered to her was also the most loving gift I could give. I told her it was okay to let go. She said, “Thank you”, and passed away soon after.


My heart aches and my grief is in the beginning stages of a process I will have to live through. But I take solace in the truth that I will see her again someday. We will rejoice in the presence of the Lord forever, because a shared faith and that is my mother’s legacy to me. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful testimony, Susan. Thanks for sharing.