Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Clothing of Christ

Today is a good day. The sun is out, it’s warm and I feel like I am in a better place than I have been for a long time. But I admit to some fear that it is only the eye of the storm I have been caught in for some time. It is terrible thing to not be able to enjoy the present, a gift, because of waiting for the other shoe to drop. Everyone has been in this place. It is for many a roadblock to experiencing the fullness of joy. And when I say many, I include myself.

There is grief in our world. It is a part of human existence, and no one escapes the ravages of loss in life whether it be death of a loved one, loss of a job, loss of health or any number of causes that lead to brokenness. And sometimes that grief hangs on us like an old smelly overcoat we wear everywhere we go. It becomes a part of us and we shuffle through our days with it dragging us down by its weight. It’s what we wear and by extension, it defines who we are.

The fact is we are incapable of shedding the coat that clings to us without the help of other believers who act on behalf of Christ. The Holy Spirit enables us through them to cast aside the cloak that has perpetuated our brokenness. But it is not enough to shake it off. We must replace it with new clothing. We must clothe ourselves with Christ (Gal. 3:27) and clothe ourselves in love (Col. 3:14). 1 Peter 5:5 says we are to clothe ourselves in humility.

But that is not all. Ephesians 6:13 says we must take up the full armor of God so we may be able to stand firm. Verses 14-17 describe what that armor consists of: the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the gospel of peace, the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, the word of God. And it all starts with shedding the coat of sorrows and brokenness.

If it were easily achieved, we would have no need for the fellowship of believers and of Christ. We would be autonomous, but that is not how it works. To clothe ourselves with humility is the only way to wholeness. Humility says I hurt. I need your love, grace and support. We will never be totally free from the burdens that weigh us down in this life, but it is possible to gain more joy in the journey. God seeks to instill his joy in the hearts and minds of those who come in humility seeking his face.

I am broken. I have suffered greatly from my past sins and my current burdens, but I do not suffer from terminal uniqueness. We all are broken in some way. No one escapes grief. We must bring them to the suffering and broken Christ who paid all for us. In doing so we are clothed with the triumphant Christ who makes all things new. We are invited to sit at the table of mercy and the celebration of what is to come. We long for the day when all suffering is swept away and joy is made complete.

Lord, hasten the day.








No comments: