Sunday, March 2, 2008

Partaking of the Spirit

Today I participated in the sacrament of Holy Communion. It is a ritual my church observes monthly. While Protestants in general partake of it as a remembrance of the death of Christ, my Lutheran roots have never left me and it is so much more than that to me. There is something mysterious and almost mystical in the partaking of the Lord's Supper. The Holy Spirit is present in the elements, dispensing the grace of God in a very real and tangible way. I cannot receive the broken bread and the fruit of the vine without feeling the presence of grace in my life. I am a sinner and in need of God's gift of salvation extended through the body and blood of Jesus. Communion reminds me of that every time I take it.

Holy Communion is a means by which God's gift of salvation is made evident for all to see. In the breaking of the bread and the drinking of the cup, we proclaim Christ's death until he returns. It is the recalling to mind that it is only through Christ's death that we can be forgiven our sins. There had to be death before there could be resurrection. Holy Communion is the visible sacrament that shows forth the inestimable cost of salvation that was paid for us sinners to secure our salvation. In partaking of the sacrament, we can enter into his presence intimately because he is found in the elements. The gift of grace is received anew and in that we have the forgiveness of sins and the assurance of salvation.

Whatever your faith tradition is, communion should be a time of reflection on your need for cleansing from sin and need of salvation. Regardless of how we have fallen short, God's grace restores us time and again. Communion is his means of conveying that wondrous truth and assures our hearts of his unfailing love. Because of that, I take every opportunity to partake of communion. I need the grace that is made evident in that sacrament. My prayer is all who participate would sense the renewal and restoration that flows from the Holy Spirit. It is his free gift to all who come to his table of mercy.

2 comments:

lgaebler said...

I can't tell you how much it means to me to read your messages. They are so thought-provoking and give me strength. You are my dear friend and that means the world to me! Thank you for being you! :-)

susan said...

Thank you for the encouragement and your friendship! My sole purpose for this blog is to encourage others on their faith walk. My trials, travails and triumphs are common to all who are his, and we are all in this together.