Friday, December 26, 2008

A New Year's Resolution

Christmas is over and a new year is soon arriving. This coming week is one in which many traditionally take stock of the past year, making an assessment and setting goals for the new year. I’ve never been very good at that. It’s a process that I find daunting, yet I know there are things I could resolve to do:

I need to eat better and shed some pounds. I need to read my bible daily and pray more throughout the day. I need to say “I love you” more often to those I do. I need to be more generous with my time and talent. I need to be a better witness for the Lord. The list could go on, but I already feel like I will probably fail to follow through with just the ones I've mentioned. Good intentions are not enough.

Truth is no goals are attainable without the power of the Holy Spirit. And no goals should be set without the direction of the Spirit. Too often in the past, I have set goals that were not of God and I failed miserably. It’s not that God was unwilling to help, but he knows me well and has better plans for my well-being than I can come up with. It might just be that he wants me to focus on one thing that is the most needful and to work toward that goal without the distraction of goals that although good, yet are not as urgent as the one thing he wants me to work on.

So, New Year’s number one resolution: seek the Lord for what I need to work on this coming year, a goal that is attainable even if it proves difficult. To prayerfully consider what is the most needful to please God and work out his plan for me. Whatever the goal, the outcome will be the result of a joint collaboration between us; his strength, his grace, his wisdom and my willingness and perseverance.

For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope. Then when you call upon me and come and pray to me, I will hear you. When you search for me, you will find me; if you seek me with all your heart, I will let you find me, says the Lord. (Jeremiah 29: 11-14a). A promise for the new year that all can take to heart.

Those words give me hope that his desire is to see his children succeed so they will hear from Jesus the words, Well done my good and faithful servant. I cannot think of a better goal than that.

No comments: