Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sadness Endures for the Night, but Joy Comes with the Morning

Today I am sad. There's no other word for it, just sad. This morning I put my son on a plane back to West Point after a week of spring break. The time flew by. Life is like that--good times rush past while dark days crawl. My sadness is a response to life's circumstances. It's not depression. Sadness, feeling blue, heartbroken, these are temporary states of mind that are based on things we cannot control. Depression is a mental condition that has no connection with external situations. It just happens. It is a physical condition of the brain. It also is long term. It's important for me to know the difference.

There are many things in life that can sadden us, just as there are those things that give us joy. I've heard it said that without the tough times, the painful times, joy is diminished. I don't like the sound of that, but there may be some truth to it. David experienced great upheavals in his life and his emotions went along for the ride. While I do not make the comparison between his life and mine, the lessons are the same. God is present no matter the circumstances, be they life threatening or far less in scope. As David sang, His rod and His staff comfort me. He leads me beside the still waters and makes me lie down in green pastures. He did for David and he does it for me.

So this time of sadness will hurt for a while. I may feel blue all week, or after hearing his voice when he calls to let us know he has made back safely, I may perk up. Regardless, the Shepherd of my soul is quietly comforting me and holding me near. He gently wipes away the tears and patiently leads me on. The still waters beckon and I will go lie down and listen for Him.

1 comment:

crystal said...

What a wonderful week you must have had with Matt. Last weekend I traveled to Columbus to see my husband for the first time since he moved more than a month ago now. This morning in worship I too was feeling blue and when the closing hymn was "It is well with my soul," I nearly cried. It is well and I am comforted, but I continue to wrestle with why sadness happens.