Saturday, August 22, 2009

God's Acceptance

One of the most painful things that can happen to us is rejection. It’s a stab in the heart, and depending on how close the relationship, it can be like a knife twisting, inflicting much damage and pain. I have been on the receiving end of rejection more times that I care to talk about. Each time, I felt the pain of the loss of relationship and love. It just hurt.

For whatever reasons, I sometimes do not measure up, or I do or say something that makes me undesirable afterward. Sometimes, I’ve not known the reason for rejection and that hurts in its own unique way. While rejection from those I want to forge a relationship with is hurtful, it’s not near as much pain as when I’ve entrusted my heart. I have a somewhat checkered past and am careful with whom I reveal details. I have lived to regret sharing some things because it led to rejection. Not always outright, but in more subtle ways: the cooling down of friendship intimacy, less communication and canceling of plans. It’s happened, and the pain is severe.

I think we’ve all experienced rejection and its pain. Everyone has been at both ends of rejection. It goes along with being human. We fail each other; we withdraw for a variety of reasons and in doing so, hurt people. The fact is as long as we open our hearts to other people, we are open to rejection. As the old adage goes, it’s not wise to put all your eggs in one basket, but it seems we often do so, sometimes to our great sorrow.

There is only one with whom I’ve been able to share all and not risk rejection. That one is God. His amazing acceptance has healed much from lost friendships and acquaintances. As much as I have fallen short, he has always extended the hand of grace, of love and whole hearted acceptance. He created me, who else is able to so completely understand my failings and shortcomings. Who else sees my longings and pain with eyes that probe deep within the heart and soul? I was fashioned for relationship, with other people and with him. When others fail, I can run to his open arms and find solace there.

God awaits all who seek true love. Love that does not fail, that does not reject when we don’t measure up. Love that compels an openness and authenticity that although is frightening at first, leads to a wholeness that restores joy at being freed to be who we are, made in his image. Rejection will touch all of us, but God’s love that never fails heals all wounds. All our eggs can safely go in his basket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are my friend, even if we live thousands of miles apart. I love you, friend,
Lyn

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan,
I feel we are alike in lots of ways.
I haven't been able to express my true feelings, for a long time. Time being, I'm dealing with Dot and Colleen. Dot just got out of the hospital and I truly believe in Presbyterian prayer..sorry...prayer period! I miss you. If there was anything I could do, short of magic to make you feel better I would.
I could use a dose of magic (which i know is our Lord)myself. As Colleen says. We love you, We need you, in God's Love for you we pray.
Love to you and all you touch.
Thanks for being a friend.
Pat

Anonymous said...

It took me a while to search online, only your site open up the fully details, bookmarked and thanks again.

- Laura