Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sweet Sorrows

I have sat here for a while trying to figure out a very famous saying. I went through “Loss is such sweet sorrow”, “Goodbye is such sweet sorrow”, and others. Finally, thanks to Google, I found the quote written centuries ago by William Shakespeare: “Parting is such sweet sorrow.”

I have never fully understood that sentiment. The only partings to which I could apply that are ones in which there was a sense of sarcasm. Not recommending that as I do believe the Lord takes a dim view of sarcasm. If you take time to read the book of Proverbs, you see he doesn’t like twisted barbs that harm others or hardens the heart. I have actually contemplated Shakespeare’s oft quoted line at times, albeit sometimes with incorrect words, but nonetheless mean the same and I have wondered what to make of these words that do not come from the bible, yet are so well known.

If I dug further, I suppose it was a romantic moment in which this quote was framed. But setting that aside, the words make little sense when the one you love and care about is taking leave of you. Where is the sweetness in that? Sorrow I understand. People I have loved have exited my life down through the years and there was only a sense of sorrow and loss.

This is where we do turn to the bible, because in it we find quite a few partings of sweet sorrows. Paul sending Timothy and Silas to other cities in faraway lands, and though there was much weeping at the parting, there was a sweetness knowing they were going with God’s blessing. If we stand in the way of those whom God wants to send and convince them to stay, that really isn’t love. And it’s not hearing from the Holy Spirit, and obeying. The parting of sweet sorrow is avoided, but at a cost that may be very dear.

The most profound parting of sweet sorrow came when Jesus left his followers and returned to his father. He made it clear that his ministry on earth was over and it was a difficult case of “parting is such sweet sorrow.” Without his departure, the Holy Spirit could not come. Our Comforter, our Counselor, our Strength and Wisdom that comes directly from the Lord. I have no doubt that tears were shed, and questions abounded, maybe there was even turmoil in the hearts and minds of some who saw him leave. But two angels appeared and asked why they kept looking up toward heaven. They said, “This Jesus, who has been taken up from you into heaven will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:11) And that is where the sweetness is found.

Brothers and sisters in Christ are never really apart. Oh yes, perhaps in body, but heart and spirits stay intertwined in God’s love. And the parting of sweet sorrow may hurt for a season, but sending out those set apart by God for missions, makes it all the sweeter as we contemplate the countless lives that will be touched with the ever present and ever drawing grace of God.

I write all this in an effort to comfort, not just the reader, but also myself, for there is much sorrow when we lose loved ones, either by distance or death. But the sweetness as we contemplate the reunions that will take place with great joy. I could be way wrong, but I can’t help but doubt Shakespeare implied a spiritual lesson when he penned those words. It’s just in me that I find God in all things, even if only the slightest glimmer in the darkest dungeons of the human heart.

Right now I hurt for a variety of reasons. I said goodbye to a beloved family in church today. And other burdens are causing pain. But at least there is a sweet, sweet Spirit who comforts, and reminds us of what Jesus has given. And that sweet sorrow is actually a means which drives us onward and upward. Thank you, William Shakespeare. You left behind more than you think.






No comments: