Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Growing Tame

A little over a month ago we brought home a feral kitten, about six months old. She had been trapped as part of a spay/neuter and release program. As she was recovering from surgery the folks at the agency thought they'd try keeping  her inside to see if she could adjust to being around people. She took to the litter box but didn't allow a lot of contact, yet seemed to be adjusting. I found out about her while doing an internet search search for a kitten to adopt to give our dog a companion.

When we went to meet  her she really didn't show much of herself. They caught her and put her in the cat carrier for us pretty much sight unseen. She growled and hissed at Zed, our dog, who we had taken along to meet her as well. Not exactly a positive start. But we thought we'd give her a try. We were given four weeks to see if we would be able to make it work.

When we got home and  released her, she immediately went into hiding. While we tried to coax her out from under the bed or out of the basement she'd warily only venture out for food and use the litter box and then run for cover not letting us near her. This went on for pretty much the first week. But gradually she began to become a little less fearful. I would stay in the room with her while she ate and gradually move closer to her  until I was sitting next to her so she would associate me with food, something positive. Soon she began coming into the same room and began rubbing against our legs. Fast forward, now she sits next to me and sleeps on the bed. Still doesn't care all that much for Zed, but she's getting there.

I find a parallel between humans and our fallen state before coming to Christ, at least for me. You could say I was feral. I was living apart from the One who could provide for me and striving to make it through life by my own means. I literally lived wildly. Not everyone shares the same background as me, but all are living on their own terms until they turn to God. Paul made it clear in his writings that all have sinned and fallen short. All have need of salvation through Jesus.

In my fallen state I had a distorted understanding of the Lord. I saw an angry, vindictive God and I wanted no part of him. But he pursued me like the hound of heaven and I ran as fast as I could fearful of what would happen if I were caught. Looking back, I am amazed at the misguided view I had, but judgmental Christians I had encountered had only left me believing God wanted me to burn. Why on earth would I want to come to him? Like my cat, I hid as best I could. But God, knew how to reach me and drew me gradually by the Holy Spirit. I had been raised in a Christian home and as I grew increasingly desperate in my life of addiction, thoughts of a chance of returning to a God of my youth began entering my mind. I am utterly convinced those thoughts were planted by the Holy Spirit. They did not come from me. But by the grace of God those thoughts took root and the day came when I turned back to that concept of God and returned to the fold. I became "tame."

I find spiritual lessons in everyday things if I am open to the Holy Spirit. My kitten is now a part of our household and this lesson serves to remind me of how far the Lord has brought me. The even better news is he isn't finished with me. He's never finished with any of his children. He is busy working wonders in our beings up to the time we are called home. We have been tamed. Oh, there are always times when we don't willingly sit on the lap of our Father. But as I said, he is not finished. The Holy Spirit is working in us to bring our entire beings into willing submission. In that place we find perfect rest.

Abba, Father. Daddy, help us to grow more tame.
















No comments: