Thursday, March 26, 2020

The God of My Understanding

On March 26, 1984, I awoke with the thought, "I don't want to live like this anymore. Today I will not drink." It was a revolutionary thought. For fifteen years I had drunk myself to into stupors, blacking out and needing the next drink to stop the shaking, the fear of facing life without it. My life was in tatters and I contemplated suicide daily. 

The thought of not drinking was terrifying. I didn't remember what life looked like without drinking. I surrounded myself with drinkers so it seemed normal to the extent any addiction can seem normal. But Divine intervention had come that morning in a simple thought. That day, I did not drink. 

By the following day, I was shaking and hurting badly. But that one thought kept going through my mind. Several years earlier I had been hospitalized due to drinking. There I had been introduced to AA. Now my back was against the wall and all I could remember was AA. I looked in the phone book and found the nearest AA group and called them. 

That evening, I went to an AA meeting. It was terrorizing to go. I had rejected AA before because they talked about surrendering to God as we understood him. The God of my understanding was vindictive, demanded perfection and looked for ways to trip you up and send you straight to Hell. I couldn't fathom trying to please an angry God. Yet, the God they presented was keeping them sober. They seemed to be somewhat happy and sane. There were different understandings, but somehow, the message got through that God would help me if I surrendered my life and will to him. 

I remember clearly the day a week later that I drove home and prayed, "Jesus, I don't deserve anything but hell, but if you'll take me I'd be grateful." That very moment I was flooded with peace unlike I had ever experienced. I knew I was going to be okay. I knew I would live. And even though navigating life now without a drink was difficult, I knew I could do it. Every morning I prayed to not drink, and every night I thanked God for another day of sobriety and for a new life that made sense. 

It's been thirty-six sometimes tumultuous years, but through some very trying times, I've never wanted a drink. The thought is anathema to me. And throughout the years, the God of my understanding has transformed into the  Lord of Love and Peace and reconciliation. I can't imagine where I would be without him. I owe him my all. My love and my adoration. 

Thank you, Lord, for another day of sobriety. 

No comments: