Sunday, June 21, 2020

The Salt of the Earth

I recently had a Sunday off due to weather conditions and thought I'd try to find a church service on TV. I wasn't filled with hope, but found one and was halfheartedly watching, not liking the music. Still, I thought I'd stick it out a little longer for the sermon. The pastor was unassuming and had a lackluster style, but I decided to listen in spite of the impulse to turn it off. I was glad I did. His message was so on target. God was definitely speaking.

The scripture text was from the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus told the people they were salt to the world, but his sermon wasn't saying to go beat the bushes for Christ. Rather he talked about how precious a commodity salt was to those who were listening to Jesus. It only takes a little to pleasantly season food to make it desirable. And just as too much salt can ruin a dish and waste the food, a heavy-handed evangelizing approach can drive people away.

I thought about times when I said too much and turned people off. I also thought about the times I had used the bible as a handbook of sin to judge people. I cringed when I considered all of it. I then thought about the times those things were done to me in the name of Jesus and how I felt: hurt, bewildered, turned off, angry.  Not a good result for soul winners.

 Maybe getting older means getting wiser. I'm not nearly as anxious as I once was when faced with opposition to the gospel. I find myself speaking more often in measured responses. I find my judgment has been tempered with grace and mercy, realizing sometimes I'm just to pray quietly in my closet. It doesn't mean I never speak. It means I put myself in someone's shoes. I recall all the issues I've struggled with through the years and how very unhelpful many Christians have been. Quick to quote scripture in hurtful ways to show how far I have missed the mark. I have witnessed firsthand how many Christians beat those who don't share the faith instead of seasoning their words lightly with the salt of Christ.

It's a fearful thing to judge others. Jesus said the measure we use to judge is the measure by which we will be judged. I don't know about you, but that gives me pause. I've read through the bible many times, and the gospels countless times. Jesus seemed to save his words of judgment for the religious. The people just struggling to get by in faith were encouraged. He said his yoke is easy. This is the Savior who said be salt to the world. Take the burden off the shoulders of the poor and needy. Give gentle words to those who are unkind to you. Be merciful to the unjust, and help those who struggle. As scripture says, taste and see the Lord is good.








2 comments:

JoAnna said...

Beautifully said, Susan. I often think that our actions toward others is the "salt," much more than our words could ever be. I've heard so many times that an individual doesn't want anything to do with Christ or Christianity because of the "hypocrites" he's known...those who claim to follow Christ but whose actions say otherwise. If we are truly the salt that Jesus wants us to be, our deeds, as well as our words, will make following Him "savory" to others.

JoAnna said...

Thank God for His goodness and grace. It will see you through the coming adjustments to retirement. My prayer is that you'll come to love the freedom that comes with managing your own time and tasks...and fun.