Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Citizens of Heaven

Anger is a double-edged sword. It can cut through the crap or cut through the heart in damaging ways. Lately I  have been angry with differing results. Some of it has been appropriate in light of certain issues, but it also has been harmful to me. The fact is, the people I have been most angry with are not within earshot. And frankly, probably could care less if they knew. The net result is a simmering self that only damages my heart. This true of everyone. We pierce ourselves when the sun sets on our anger.

A couple of days ago I was considering the state of our nation and the multiple crises sweeping it, the government's response and the anger came on. It swept me along and I couldn't stop the furious thoughts that overtook me. Suddenly in the midst of the clamor, I heard a still small voice. It cut through the cacophony as though it was bellowing, but it was a mere whisper: "You are not a citizen of the world."

I knew I had heard God. There was an immediate cessation of thoughts and I was left with just one response: "But I have to live in it." As soon as it slipped out I thought "oops" and I repented. But today I realize it was a legitimate thought. I just phrased it wrong. It should have been a question: "How do I live in the world then?" That would have been an appropriate response to God's message to me.

My anger has stemmed from the hard hearts and harshness of so many people. Of the vitriol that politicians are spouting. Of the horrid racism that is exploding from some in response to the legitimate protests. But I recognize anger rarely changes hearts. So, what would Jesus do? Really. I can get an idea from his prayer he told his disciples to pray. "Thy kingdom come on earth as it is heaven."

God's kingdom is marked by love, compassion, mercy, and justice. 

Love as in accepting people as they are and where they are and loving them unconditionally. That can be challenging if you are busy judging them by their actions and lifestyles. So stop it. Everyone bears the image of God.

Compassion as in helping those in need. Feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and incarcerated. It's characterized as supplying worldly treasures to help the poor, just as Jesus told the rich young ruler to do. It's hard when you think God's blessing is based on possessing wealth. It's to share.

Mercy as in forgiving and placing yourself in the shoes of others. Everyone has a story. Unless you listen to it you will never be free of judgemental thinking. Yes, sometimes people create their own traumas, but no one wakes up and says "today I will ruin my life." Think of the mistakes you have made that were life-altering and show some mercy.

Justice as in seeing that the poor are not trampled down even more than their humble estate has left them. It is working toward anti-racism and racial reconciliation. It is finding alternatives to incarceration which does nothing to rehabilitate. It is challenging policies that work against justice for the vulnerable. Read the book of Proverbs and see how much is dedicated to justice. It will change the way you think if you allow the Holy Spirit to instruct you. So read it.

Above all, pray for those who rule that their eyes may be opened to see Jesus and for peace in our land.
 
We are citizens of heaven, but we live in the world. So let's live like Jesus died for everyone. 





1 comment:

JoAnna said...

Yes. Living as Jesus lived.