Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Though Trials May Come

I am reposting my third blog entry from 2008, the year I began Everything is Not Relative. I have been reading my blog entries from many years ago to see if I've progressed, not as a writer, but in becoming more Christlike.  I can honestly say with humility, that God has been growing me. I still have many issues to work on and fall short far too often, but I am a work in progress. I sincerely hope my readers have been able to take away something beneficial from this blog. The whole point of it is to chronicle my journey with the Lord. As Michael Card, a Christian singer/songwriter from the 70s and 80s sang: 


There is a joy in the journey, there's a life we can love on the way. There is a wonder and wildness to life and freedom for those who obey.  I hope the following entry blesses you: 


 There are days when nothing goes right. I stub my toe getting out of bed, the toast burns, I'm late for work and customers are royal pains. These are the days that try me and I admit I don't always live up to the title Christian. It's like I'm watching myself in slow-motion and see I am about to stumble and fall, yet am powerless to stop it all from happening. Or am I?


A while back I watched the movie "Evan Almighty." It's a cute feel-good movie about a modern day Noah. Tucked in among all the silliness was a nugget of truth. In one scene, God (Morgan Freeman) is talking to the wife of Noah and listens as she pours out her frustrations and fears. In response, he tells her that when we pray for courage God doesn't just give us courage, rather he gives us the opportunity to be courageous. When we ask for patience, the chance comes to demonstrate patience. That scene made me cry because he spoke it so kindly and I realized how true the words were. We cannot live by the strength of the Holy Spirit or demonstrate his nature without trials.

Days like today were tailor-made for the Holy Spirit to reveal himself to the world through me. It is when demands increase and stress abounds that we have opportunity to let him show his character through all of us. Do I get it right every time? No, I don't. But eventually, I do. He keeps giving me chances to grow. James 1:2-4 says, "My brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of any kind, consider it nothing but joy, because you know that the testing of your faith produces endurance; and let endurance have its full effect, so that you may be mature and complete, lacking in nothing."

Some trials are life-and-death issues, like a cancer diagnosis, a lost job, or the death of a loved one, and others are simply everyday stresses that have worn us down. But the words of James apply equally in all trials. While we are in the world, God grants opportunities for us to learn to be like Jesus every day of our lives through the power of the Holy Spirit. He also grants us the companionship and fellowship of other believers who walk with us through the trials that come our way.

Regardless of how our days/lives are going, God has promised to uphold us and extend his grace so we may bear the burdens and show ourselves children of our Father. We are not alone. Praise God for his great mercy and wisdom! May you know the love, grace, and peace of God that surpasses all understanding in all your trials today.

No comments: