Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Will to Believe

Sometimes it’s just hard to believe for the best; at least it is for me. I don’t think I am alone in that regard. Circumstances crowd in and choke out faith. But faith is defined in scripture as believing in things not yet seen, things not yet realized (Hebrews 11). Faith is what it's all about. God-sized faith. So where does this faith come from?

For me, faith comes as I read my bible. It comes as I talk with other believers about the trials I am facing and about the hope that is ours in Christ. The input from both builds me, but that can’t be all. There has to be a willingness on my part to believe. That may sound off, but it’s true. I can read the bible all day and poll everyone in my life, but all the words will mean nothing if I am not willing to believe that God answers prayer and has the ability to shape my life in ways that transform me.

I have to be brutally honest here. There have been times in my faith walk when I have not always been willing to believe. It’s not a conscious unwillingness, but it can be there nonetheless. The last bout took me a while to recognize. It slowly became apparent to me that I was unwilling as I asked the same questions over and over, never quite believing the answer I was getting from people I hold in high esteem, people I trust. It was a fear issue. In doing so, I was not allowing the Holy Spirit to speak to my heart. I was holding onto my fear. It was easier to live with what I had been feeling for so long than it was to let go and move on. Ouch.

God-sized faith doesn’t come naturally to us. It is a gift, but we need to accept it. Hebrews 12:2 says that Jesus is the pioneer and perfector of our faith (NRSV). When I falter, I can look to Jesus to give me the faith I need to believe as well as the gift of willingness. It's all about him. He is the giver and sustainer of the faith necessary to please God. In Psalm 27, David said, I believe that I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord. He was able to say that after writing about his many troubles (read the whole Psalm). He was willing to believe and that willingness helped transform him and sustain him.

God never promised it would be easy to believe, but he promised that he would save, deliver and defend. That is something I can believe in. I am willing.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I love reading what you write. It's so honest and true. You are right when you point out that we struggle with belief, weather purposeful or not. I have definantly felt that way.

Thank you
Ems

Anonymous said...

Thank you - you are pastor to this pastor. Faith is more than intellectual. And I am relying on it right now. You have the words I don't, so thanks for giving them to me. They are a gift to me.

Anonymous said...

I once heard it said that writers should write about what they know. It makes the writing come alive and more authentic. I can only write from my personal experience knowing that others walk the same path as me--we have commonality. I am grateful that God gives me words to share with others. We are all in this together. That's why it is called the body of Christ! Praise God!