Friday, April 25, 2008

God's grace is sufficient for all

I know people who can take things in stride. They are able to keep a handle on their emotions and stay steady for the most part, although everyone can be pushed only so far. But I will admit to being a very intense person. I try to maintain equilibrium, but often there are times I simply cannot reign in the strong emotions I experience. Most people do not know that I have a mental condition known as hypomania. It is a form of bipolar disorder. It’s a less severe form of it and can be managed with medications, for the most part. But I can still get over the top sometimes in spite of the medications I take to keep me level.

Why am I sharing this? Mainly because I know there are others who suffer silently from other mental conditions, such as depression, and most keep it a secret as if there was something very wrong about it. I know what that feels like. For a long time after my diagnosis, I told only a very few about it. I felt ashamed and defective as a person and somehow less of a Christian.

The church (universal) in general has failed to help those who suffer from mental illness. It’s simpler to call it sin and tell the sufferer that they lack faith in God or that they are unthankful and need to ask forgiveness and pray more. I have been in churches where that was taught and so the intense emotions I experienced, the euphoric highs and the suicidal lows were something I could not own up to and the very few I did share with told me how wrong it was to feel that way. I was a bad Christian, and that only made me feel worse about myself.

I cannot total the times I have prayed about it, asking God to heal me and getting no answer in return, all the while suffering in silence. Anger built and put a block between God and me. I still prayed for others but I had lost hope that he was going to answer prayer in regard to me. I stayed faithful in church attendance, but my relationship with God was one of “I have to do this” in nature. Not the way it should be, nor the way God wants it. But I could not get past the fact that he was not answering my pleas to be “normal”, and I slipped into a deep depression.

As is the nature of the hypomania, I would get out of depression and go to a high place, but again, afterwards slide down into a darker depression. It was a rollercoaster existence. All the while, I wondered why God was silent. Finally, out of desperation I sought medical help and was properly diagnosed and put on a drug regimen. It’s taken about three years to finally find the right meds and dosages to make life better for me and those around me. Throughout the process I was still angry with God because he wasn’t healing me. I argued with him and with others about it. But as I have leveled out, becoming able to think more clearly, I have begun to see that he is answering my prayer through medical intervention.

Paul had a bone to pick with God as well (2 Cor. 12). He pleaded several times to have a “thorn in his flesh” removed because it made life more difficult. God did not answer his plea the way he wanted. God told him, My grace is sufficient for you, for power is made perfect in weakness. Paul’s response was that he would boast in his weakness so that the power of Christ would be fully revealed in him.

My need for medication to keep me grounded and focused is God’s way of telling me that his grace is sufficient for this thorn in my flesh. And since God does not shame his children, then my shame over having a mental illness is misguided. Do I intend to shout it from the roof? No, but I can share like I am now to give hope to someone who may need help and doesn’t know where to turn, or who is afraid to admit that they struggle with depression, bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, or any other mental condition. It’s not sin; it’s a physical brain disorder in my case and for others a chemical imbalance that is treatable.

If the church could hear and listen to the hearts of those who struggle to keep in control, they might find compassion rather than fear or misunderstanding. Those who view mental health issues as weakness might be able rethink their position and see with God’s eyes the true nature of believers who are mentally ill, that they are beloved by him just as much as those who are “normal.”

I have stepped out of my comfort zone to say all this. It’s like hanging out the laundry for all to see. Yet I know that someone might find hope in my words and revelation. God does hear and answer prayer. We just don’t always see or expect the answers to come in the guise that they do. God is faithful and his grace is sufficient for all our needs and weaknesses. Grace, God’s grace is really all we need.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too found out that my "self-medication" in my earlier life was an attempt to correct the mental imbalance in my life, being depression. It was after I let God into my life that I discovered the correct medications to take for my condition. Since I've been able to get on a correct dosage, as Susan discussed, I've been able to admit my condition and share it with other's who have similar problems.

My Mom said that my Dad was on a medication for depression but discontinued it after the prescription ran out. He went through the remaining 30 years of his life without medication because his generation frowned upon any admission to a mental illness. I was not aware of this, but I look back and know the difficulties he had, as well as the problems that it made for Mom.

The good news (in an odd sort of way) is that my nephew has been diagnosed with depression and asked me about it. I was able to identify with his negative self-image and even the suicidal tendency, which was reassurance for him that his condition can be treated, once it's acknowledged. I used to attach a different meaning to the phrase "better living through chemistry," but now I know that it is necessary for some of us to function properly.

Thank you, Susan, for your courage in posting this very personal admission. I hope others gain support and encouragement from it as I have.

Lyndon Sparling-Herring

Pastor Lyn said...

Courage has many faces. Courage to deal with this condition. Courage to deal with the shame. Courage to share your journey. And courage to take on the church for the way they have abandoned the mentally challenged. Your bravery is astounding and a gift to the church. I know many suffer silently, though cannot hide, due to the nature of the condition. But you have opened the door for others to partner with you - in prayer, in encouragement, in hope for others.

Your life preaches because it is real and it is redeemed.
Love,
Pastor Lyn

Emily said...

Wow. That really hits home, but not in the way you would expect. I know there there is mental illness on both sides of my family. Sometimes I live in fear that I might develope bipolar disorder or schitophrenia, and that I won't acknowledge it and live in denial the rest of my life. Not many people talk about it and I certainly don't talk the fear I have of it. It seems to be a very hushed topic. Sometimes I beg God to spare me, but really I know it's not the end of the world, God never leaves. Thats all the hope I have (which is enough).

Emily

PS thank you for you courage.

Anonymous said...

Emily, I can understand the fear of having a mental illness. Some of it runs in my family, too. But armed with that knowledge, you can be proactive and learn about the indicators of those illnesses that run in your family.

I waited a very long time to see a psychiatrist, and it was on the recommendation of my regular doctor. It was a wise thing to tell me because I have been greatly helped by proper medication after getting a diagnosis.

Remember that just because mental illnesses run in your family does not necessarily mean you have or will have a disability. Learn the symptoms and be honest with your doctor if you have concerns. God uses doctors and we are blessed to live in an age where medicine is so advanced.

I will pray for you.

Emily said...

Thank you. :)