Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Beyond Sentimentality

I am a sentimental person; I’ll just admit that up front. I can tear up at Hallmark commercials, that’s how bad it is. I cry at movies, try as I might not to do so. I just can’t help it. I try to act like my eyes are bothering me so it won’t look like I’m crying. What I see affects me greatly and I often cry. What I hear causes me to cry too sometimes. Music that brings back memories, as well as music that is simply beautiful and moving. And what I read can do the same. I can cry at the drop of a hat.

While sentimentality isn’t a bad thing, it’s just a surface emotional expression. Crying at movies is not the same as crying at a newscast of violence tearing apart neighborhoods, or the hearing of soldiers being maimed and killed in a terrible war. While I am sentimental, the real events of this world move me even more. Tragedy should cause an emotional reaction to prompt responsive action. Otherwise, we would be observers only.

God is not an impassive observer. He is moved by suffering as well. Humans are fashioned in his image and though some ignore that by not living by their God given conscience, those who do, take action to alleviate pain. God uses us to help those who experience tragic events. It is our responsibility to provide aid to those who suffer whether it is because of a flood, or a death in the family. Wherever people are, we are to take help to them.

God has tagged us to do the work of helping those who are in distress, whatever that may be. Ask yourself if you are responding to those in need of comfort and basic needs. Give to charities that provide services to victims of natural disasters. Volunteer at a food pantry or a suicide hotline. Volunteer to work at a hospital or hospice. Organize care packages for soldiers. Seek out ways you can actively respond to those who need aid.

Maybe you don’t cry as I do, but your heart should be moved by human suffering. God has given us his Spirit, and he grieves over our sorrows. Let that same grief move you to action. People are counting on you, and God is, too.

No comments: