Saturday, October 3, 2009

Knowledge That Impresses

I subscribe to a service that sends me a daily word that includes pronunciation, meaning, origin and examples of usage. Virtually every word is one I’ve never seen before. I learn a lot of words that I promptly forget because I do not use them. Even if I did remember them, I would probably not use them because I think many readers would be clueless as to what I was saying. It would only show off my expansive vocabulary, however innocent that might be, or not.

Knowing scripture can be like that. We can learn the bible backwards and forward and impress others with our knowledge of it. Maybe we wouldn’t be doing it intentionally, but it does happen nonetheless, and I know this because I have often been commended on my grasp of scripture, of knowing the “address” of particular passages. I have a bible translation on my PDA that I can refer to. It also has a search function if I do draw a blank. Impressive, yes?

But no matter how much I or anyone else may know, it’s not all that impressive to God if we do not live it. He is even less impressed if I, like a Pharisee, live without grace toward others. Paul made a bold statement about this very thing. Knowledge of words and of scripture can be quite meaningless:

“If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy, but don’t have love, I’m nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God’s word with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day…but do not have love, I’m nothing.” (1 Cor. 13:1-2, The Message)

We can know and believe everything in the bible, but if we do not live and love by it, extending grace to others, it’s worthless in the eyes of God. All the big words and the knowledge of the bible are meaningless without love for others. Scriptural knowledge should lead to transformed lives, softened hearts, pure thoughts, and graciousness acted out in everyday living.

Perhaps I will appear to be less learned by my limited vocabulary, but I would rather be understood. And I will continue to learn scripture, but only with love in my heart to all, and hope that is what impresses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom quoted this line, which is applicable to today's subject:
"Quoting the Bible by the yard, but living it my the inch." Good summary.

Lyndon

Emily said...

This is going along with that I am learning. I have gone to Bible School, I'm still in Bible School, but knowledge isn't enough. It's the attitude of our hearts. The highest form of spirituality is not knowledge, it's not following the "thou shalt nots", it's not operating in the gifts, or in the five fold ministry. All of that is non-sense, noise, racket, and clatter but the highest form of being spirituality is loving God and loving your neighbor, it defines all the rest.