Sunday, September 13, 2020

The Fruit Quiz

 1 Peter 3:8-12 (The Message)

Summing up: Be agreeable, be sympathetic, be loving, be compassionate, be humble. That goes for all of you, no exceptions. No retaliation. No sharp-tongued sarcasm. Instead, bless—that’s your job, to bless. You’ll be a blessing and also get a blessing. Whoever wants to embrace life and see the day fill up with good, Here’s what you do: Say nothing evil or hurtful; Snub evil and cultivate good; run after peace for all you’re worth. God looks on all this with approval, listening and responding well to what he’s asked; But he turns his back on those who do evil things.
This was the verse I was greeted with this morning when I opened up my bible app. Some people immediately came to mind. The words of Jesus that you will know people by their fruit came to me as well. As I checked off my mental list of prominent people, the uneasy feeling of how my mouth as sometimes belied my faith washed over me. And I had to admit, sometimes my fruit isn't all that great.
Jesus said to be wary of those who claim to be Christians but never show fruit consistent with that claim. But I must look to myself as well.  Am I bearing good fruit that shows my faith is genuine? Does sarcasm come from my lips? Do I diligently work for peace? Do I say hurtful things? Am I humble and compassionate?  If I am being honest, I have to say sometimes I fail that quiz.
Right now I'm thinking I'm not alone in this. Whew! But God has called me to look at my own heart. So I will do all I can to control my own mouth. To strive to speak words of peace, not division. To avoid using zingers to put down. To speak graciously to all, especially to those who oppose. 
Proverbs says gentle words turn away wrath. It's almost a daunting task to take on, but I have help from God. What he expects of Christians, he will supply the strength to do. 


1 comment:

JoAnna said...

A good reminder...especially in these times.