Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Testing Our Thoughts

This past week I have had a reoccurring thought, the origin of which is a bit murky. There is risk involved in acting on it. It’s something I am taking it very seriously because if it is coming from the Holy Spirit, then I face risking much stepping out in faith or I can disobey God which carries its own consequences. I am reminded by the life of Jesus that obeying God carries a great deal of risk. Christians in the past and present have suffered much for sharing how Jesus saved them. Living by faith can prove very difficult and the Lord doesn’t promise we will come through unscathed in this life.

My dilemma is keen. Ideas that sound good may come from the father of all lies. Scripture says he masquerades as an angel of light. He salts his planted thoughts with enough truth to make it plausible that the Lord could be the author of them. That is why we are told to test the spirits and we do so by asking ourselves if it’s scriptural, does it bring glory to God and what do mature Christians and spiritual leaders think. In other words, we should only step out boldly if we are certain we have heard from God. Jesus didn’t say or do anything that the Father didn’t model for him. He spent much time in prayer seeking direction from the Father.

Then there is the danger of running ahead of God’s plan for us by stepping out on ice he didn’t tell us to test. It may seem like a good idea, but our own thoughts, however holy they may seem, can be just as dangerous as those of the Liar. When we act on thoughts without testing them, we can set ourselves back in our faith walk. I could easily point to people who have told me they’ve been called to preach and running out to start a church with no backing or plan. Many crashed and burned. God hadn’t called them to be pastors; they took a thought and ran with it when it hadn’t come from God. Or it was a premature move that caused them to step out too early before they and their path had been made ready.  

Now that I have made everyone question all their plans, the good news is that if we just follow those three precepts: is it scriptural, does it glorify God, and what do other more mature believers and leaders think, we will then be able to more clearly discern what God’s will is for us and from where the source of the thoughts originate.


I am applying those questions to the thought that is insistently pressing on me. Frankly, it scares me, but I am trying to come to a place of peace that can only come from knowing from whom this idea has come. I can either walk away or step out on the limb of faith, even if it’s with trepidation. I pray I will do the right thing. 

No comments: