Friday, March 24, 2023

Deepest Darkness, Highest Joy

 

It isn’t unusual for me to become emotional during Holy Week as I ponder the price paid for sin. I can look back over my life and see there are things to be sorry for. I do not do that often or I can be overwhelmed by memories of things I wish I had never experienced, choices made that I regret but am powerless to change. We are not given a redo, but we are given the opportunity to live righteously in the present.

 

In the book of Lamentations, the prophet Jeremiah says God’s steadfast love never ceases and his mercies are new every morning. In that, I find hope. Hope that I am never alone no matter my state of mind. He is present with me in triumphs and in failures, whether I stumble or succeed. Each day I can rise fresh in the knowledge he is near and will extend the grace needed to live a life worthy of the blood shed for me.

 

My prayer today is summed up in the words from an old hymn: “oh let me never, never outlive my love for thee.” The love of God that compelled Jesus to come in the flesh to walk among us as he journeyed to the cross causes me to bow down and worship. I pray that I will never take for granted the price paid for my salvation, and never outlive my love for my Maker and Savior. It is his passion for me that has brought me to this place in my life, and his grace leads me to my destiny: to become like Jesus and to live forever in his presence.

 

When the day arrives to celebrate the resurrection, I will look back to the empty cross of suffering and allow it to inform my joy at the sight of the empty tomb of life. The two are inseparable and will stand throughout eternity as the ultimate symbols of God’s love for those he created for himself. Because of the cross, I am no longer judged for my sins and failures. The demands of the broken Law were nailed to it and death no longer reigns.

 

That is why it is called Good Friday.

 

No comments: